Cloud Matcha Tea
Last week, I shared the internet craze with you called “Cloud Coffee” or “Dalgona Coffee.” It’s this method of whipping up instant coffee with sugar and water that makes it into a mousse- or cloud-like consistency. You then spoon it over hot or cold milk to make a refreshing coffee drink (sort of, I didn’t actually like it).
In discussing this drink online with some friends, one of the questions someone posed me was, could you do it with matcha? So, I set out to find out…
First of all, just let me say, it doesn’t work the same way. I put the matcha, sugar and water in the workbowl of my mixer and turned it on, and nothing. Zip. Nada. It was not happening. Clearly, there is something in the instant coffee that makes it fluff up.
So then, of course, I thought of aquafaba. I tried adding some to the matcha mixture, but it didn’t work. So I scrapped the entire operation and started over. Such is the nature of recipe development. 🙂
This time, I started with the aquafaba. I whipped it for a while, then added in the sugar. When I got it to the right, cloud-like consistency, then I added in the matcha, and ta-da! Cloud Matcha Tea!
If you’re not vegan, and they don’t make you nervous, you can substitute egg whites for this. Just be careful to not beat them too long, as it’s easier to over beat egg whites than it is to over beat aquafaba (over beating aquafaba is basically impossible, actually).
"Cloud" Matcha Tea
- Stand mixer
- 2 tbsp aquafaba
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- Place the aquafaba in the bowl of your stand mixer and turn it to medium speed for about two minutes, until the AF is frothy.
- Next, stream in the sugar slowly with the motor running.
- Turn the speed up to high and beat until the aquafaba is fluffy and light.
- Add the matcha and fold to incorporate.
- Fill your mug up with your favourite non dairy milk (hot or cold, if you're doing it cold, add some ice as well), then top with the matcha foam.
How to make “Cloud” Matcha Tea. ##matcha ##tea ##cloud ##dalgona ##fyp ##foryoupage♬ original sound - Bex