Instant Pot Brownies
The more I use my Instant Pot, the more impressed I am. Oh sure, at the beginning, I used it in all the traditional ways; soups, stews, beans, oatmeal, eggs. Basically savoury dishes, which I’m sure, is what most people think about when they think about the Instant Pot.
But I’ve been experimenting more and more with sweeter dishes, and it turns out, they work great in the IP. I never would have thought that the Instant Pot could have oven-like capabilities, but you can easily make baked goods in there. I’ve been experimenting with cheesecakes, muffins and I even make pancakes in my pot last week.
One thing to note when it comes to cooking in the Instant Pot: you’re never going to get any golden brown edges or caramelization. So if you think you might really miss crispy brown edges, then Instant Pot desserts are not for you.
But the advantage of pressure-cooking your dessert is that the end result is often more evenly cooked through. I made pancake bites last weekend, and they were perfectly cooked all the way through, whereas sometimes regular pancakes can be a bit raw in the centre, even though the outsides are perfectly cooked.
These bad boys? Rich, dense, super chocolatey.
Have you tried making desserts or baking in your Instant Pot? Let me know your successes/failures in the comments below!
Instant Pot Brownies
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup best quality cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Grease a 7″ springform pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment add the butter and sugar and cream well together, then add the eggs and vanilla, and cream again.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. You may need to sift the cocoa powder if it has lumps. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the mix, and then continue to combine until incorporated, stopping the mixer to scrape down the sides.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the chocolate, folding it in last.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and cover loosely with foil.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of the pot insert, and then add a couple cups of water. Place the pan on top of the trivet, then seal the lid. Set the Instant Pot on manual for 50 minutes.
- After the time is up, allow the pot to release the pressure naturally for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure and remove the lid. Carefully remove the pan from the pot set aside to cool at least slightly before removing the brownies from the pan and eating.