Instant Pot Cheesecake
Yes, you can make dessert in the Instant Pot! In fact, it works really well, because it holds at a steady temperature, so it’s perfect for desserts like cheesecake that are a bit more delicate.
Normally, you’d make cheesecake in the oven in a bain marie, but Instant Pot Cheesecake is way easier and less work!
Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Instant Pot
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup finely crushed salted pretzels
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 8- oz packages cream cheese softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup evaporated milk
- First make the crust. In a small bowl, place the graham cracker crumbs and the crushed pretzels. (If you have bought whole graham crackers and not crumbs, place them in a Ziploc bag with the pretzels, seal well, and bash them with the bottom of your pot or a wine bottle until they are pulverized). Melt the butter in a small pot on top of your stove over low heat, then add into the graham/pretzel mix. Combine until the butter is incorporated. It will look like sandy crumbs.
- Butter the sides and bottom of a 7” springform pan. Pour the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan, and using your fingers or the bottom of a glass, pack it in. Put aside while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: place the cream cheese in a large bowl, and add in the eggs, sugar and vanilla. With a wooden spoon, spatula or with your hand mixer, mix everything together well.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture overtop of the crust.
- Cover the top of the springform pan with foil.
- Take another two large pieces of foil and fold them into strips. Place them on your counter so that they form a cross. Place the springform pan in the middle of the cross, then pull up the strips of foil and bring them together at the top to form a kind of sling to raise and lower the cheesecake into the Instant Pot.
- Place 1-2 cups water in the bottom of the pot, and place the trivet in. Carefully lower the cheesecake into the pot, place the lid on and seal. Cook on manual for 40-50 minutes, or until the cheesecake is set in the centre. When the Instant Pot beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10-15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure and remove from the pot. Place in the fridge to chill.
- To make the caramel: In a heavy bottomed pot, place the sugar, water and maple syrup. Heat over medium-high heat until all the sugar dissolves and it starts to produce large, slow bubbles.
- Don’t stir, just swirl the pan a little, and allow the sugar to caramelize. This will take about 5-10 minutes. If you are using a candy thermometer, you want to get the sugar to just over 300 degrees. It should be a beautiful amber/caramel colour. Remember you are going to add milk to it, so it’s okay to get it a bit darker than the actual colour you are looking for.
- Remove from the heat, and carefully stir in the salt and 1/4 cup milk. Once it’s incorporated, check to see how thick it is. If you want a runnier caramel, add a little more milk, until you get it to the consistency you like.
- Serve the cheesecake with caramel sauce on top.