I love the element of surprise in a recipe. One tiny little thing that’s done differently–unexpectedly–that has a huge impact.
In this particular case, it’s not just including fruit on a salad (because fruits and veggies are cousins, and they taste great together), it’s grilling the fruit before putting it on the salad.
Roasting the peaches on the stove brings forth the natural sugars and gives them some lovely caramelization. They add a beautiful, sweet, rich element to this simple salad. You could, by the way, also do the peaches on the BBQ.
Roasted Peach and Spinach Salad
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 peaches, halved and pitted
- red onions, thinly sliced
- feta cheese, crumbled
- a handful of nuts–walnuts, silvered almonds, or pecans
- Dressing: your favourite store-bought raspberry vinagrette or a homemade version
- Over a medium heat in a cast-iron frying pan, heat a little olive oil. Place the peaches cut-side down in the hot oil, and allow them to fry until you get some nice brown caramelization. Remove to a plate until ready to serve.
- Wash and spin dry the spinach. Place in a large bowl and toss with the raspberry vinagrette.
- Place a handful of spinach on a plate. Top with a few onion slices. Cut the peach halves into slices, and distribute them on the plate. Sprinkle over some crumbled feta, and finish with a sprinkling of nuts.
- Serves 4 as an appetizer, or 2 as a main.