Jam-Filled Star Cookies (Vegan)
Last week, I posted these Jam-Filled Holiday Wreath Cookies, and today, I’m posting the vegan version of that recipe.
This time around, I’m using the jam from Saltspring Kitchen Co. Let me just say, that this Made in BC product is one of my favourite things to gift. Last year, I bought all my friends the Tandoori Chutney, because, well, man is that stuff delicious!!
My favourite thing is to take a nice thin slice of baguette and then pile on some cheese (you can go vegan or non- here, whichever you prefer) and then top that with a little jam. It’s this beautiful sweet-savoury combo that gets me every time.
Today’s jam choice is the Blueberry Basil (again, note the sweet-savoury combo), and so to echo the jam, I added fresh thyme to the cookie dough.
How beautiful are these Jam-Filled Star Cookies, though?
Jam-Filled Holiday Star Cookies (vegan)Rebecca Coleman
- Stand mixer or hand held mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Star-shaped cookie cutters One large, one small
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2-1 cup jam (your choice of flavour, I'm using Saltspring Kitchen Blueberry Basil)
- additional icing sugar for dusting
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, place the vegan butter and the icing sugar, and mix well on medium-high speed for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can use a hand-held mixer for this.
- Add vanilla and beat to incorporate.
- Add the salt and the thyme.
- Add the flour in 2-3 portions, beating on low speed. Mix only until the flour is just incorporated.
- Scrape the dough out of the bowl and onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a disc, wrap tightly, and store in the fridge for at least a couple of hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide you dough in half and flour your work surface and the top of the dough. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out until it's between 1/8" and 1/4" thick.
- Using a large star-shaped cookie cutter, cut as many cookies as you can. Remove to the side, then smush all the remaining dough back together, re-roll, and cut again, and repeat until you are out of dough.
- Line the stars on a cookie sheet, and then with a small star cookie cutter, cut small stars out of the centre of every second cookie. You can add these small stars to the scrap dough to be re-rolled and re-cut as well.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 9-10 minutes. Edges may be golden, but you don't want your cookies to brown. The tops should be dull.
- Remove from the cookie sheet to wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, lay your large, uncut stars out, upside-down, on a board. Microwave the jam for about 30 seconds, and then stir it well. This will help it to be easier to work with. Drop a dollop of jam on each star, then top with a cut cookie star to make a sandwich.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Store in a airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.