Aaaand we’re back!
It’s been a super busy February, primarily taken up with Wellness Show business. Truthfully, unless I bank some content in advance, I knew I was gonna be away for a bit. It’s all-consuming. I didn’t expect to be away this long, though! Food blogging is a time-consuming process, and a few experiments I have been working on failed, so… yeah.
But let’s get this party started, shall we?
Because I often play in the wellness space, I sometimes get to try new things on the market. That’s cool. I like it. But it seems like I often default to making the same things with these new supplements, like smoothies, or energy balls.
I recently got sent a new supplement called Faultless Plantbased Superfood. Aura is a local, woman-led company here in Vancouver that makes supplements, and I like them a lot. I like to support local businesses, and businesses that are run by women, especially. I wanted to do something different with this supplement. Yes, I am putting it in my smoothie every day, and, yes, it has loads of protein, fibre, phytonutrients, minerals and omegas.
And while, for me, putting it my smoothie is the easiest and most accessible way of consuming this product on a daily basis, I thought I could come up with some more creative ways.
Et voila! Green superfood waffles! Or pancakes… if you don’t have a waffle iron. I tried making pancakes with this batter and it worked great.
These green superfood waffles are a great way to start your day. They’re vegan, too! I would make a big batch of these on the weekend, and then freeze them in a zip-top bag and pull them out and toast them for quick breakfasts during the week. Top with some bananas and maple syrup, and that’s a breakfast fit for a queen, baby!
You could also go savoury with this recipe (leave out the vanilla if you decide to do that), serving them for dinner with a dollop of plant-based yogourt or cashew cream and some salsa, or if you aren’t vegan, with a fried egg.
And before you ask–you can’t taste the spinach or the superfoods. They just taste like waffles. Yummy, delicious, good-for-you waffles.
Green Superfood Waffles (or Pancakes)
- 1 ¼ cups nondairy vanilla milk (use a neutral milk if you’re going savoury)
- ¼ cup aquafaba
- 1 cup packed spinach (alternately, you could use other greens, like kale or chard)
- 2 tbsp green superfood (I’m using Aura Faultless)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- In the jar of your blender, add the milk, spinach and the superfood. Blend on high until the spinach is completely dissolved. Then add the res of the wet ingredients, and blend again until everything is combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and blend. Open the lid of the jar and scrape down the sides, and then blend one last time to make sure everything is well combined.
- If you are making waffles, follow the directions provided by your manufacturer.
- If you are making pancakes, heat up a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add a little oil to the pan. Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto the hot pan, and cook until the bottom is set and bubbles begin to appear around the edges of the pancake. Flip and cook for another minute, then serve warm.