Today, I’m sharing with you what may easily be the world’s simplest recipe.
I know! You probably won’t feel like you’re getting your money’s worth. BUT! For such a simple recipe, a surprising amount of research went into this post.
Remember when you were a kid, and your mom came home from the grocery store with big tubs of Cool Whip? That stuff was amazing; light and fluffy, great on cake, strawberries, or just eaten with a spoon. Now, I have no idea what was in it, and I’m actually pretty sure I don’t want to know.
This is the vegan version of whipped cream, or Cool Whip. It literally requires one thing: coconut milk.
Sure, you can sweeten it up with a little sugar, or add some vanilla beans (fancy!), but really, it’s good all on its own. On top of a mousse or a pie, on fruit, on a cobble, on cake, on hot chocolate–the list is endless.
How to make coconut whip:
- Take a can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge overnight.
- 15 minutes before making your coconut whip, place your bowl and the beater (or whip) in the fridge as well.
- Carefully open the can of coconut milk, taking care not to shake it. Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the solid part that will have risen to the top, and place in in the bowl.
- Now is the time to add sweetener or vanilla beans if you like.
- Now you can start to whip it. Whip for about 3-5 minutes, until it’s the desired, fluffy consistency.
- Scoop it out of the bowl and onto whatever you are eating it with (your fingers??).
Easiest recipe ever, right?
Turns out, not really. Some kinds of coconut milk work better for this than others. I have often opened up a can of coconut milk, only to discover a homogeneous mixture–totally useless for making coconut whip. So, I tried a few different brands of coconut milk and there was one that was head and shoulders above the rest–Grace brand. The key is to check the label of your coconut milk and look for stabilizers like guar gum, carrageenan, methyl cellulose or corn starch. Don’t buy brands that use them, and your coconut milk will separate as it should. The other option is to buy coconut cream. It’s more expensive, and higher in fat, but it should work for you every time.