It’s almost November. Hallowe’en is just around the corner. Truthfully, fall this year in Vancouver hasn’t been horrible, but I have, with many sadfaces, retired my beloved flip flops for a few months, and put my Hunters and other boots into heavy rotation.
What this weather calls for is soup. Warm, comforting soup to warm your belly and give your insides a big hug.
I made this soup last night, and I have to tell you, it knocked my socks off. Why? Well, first off, you can make it, start to finish, in about half an hour. When the sprout has after school activities, getting a decent, relatively healthy dinner on the table ASAP becomes priority number one. Secondly, this soup packs all the flavour. It is the most unboring soup you have probably ever had. There are layers of deliciousness here, and no meat needed to make it so. If you happen to have a cold, the chili in this will clear up your sinuses in a big fat hurry.
It’s also made with things you probably already have around the house–pantry staples. But you can easily tweak it based upon what you have in the house, and what your famjam likes. Like a taco, you can build the base soup, and then allow those partaking to garnish as they see fit.
This soup is heavier on garnish than most, but that’s part of what makes it so darn tasty. The garnishes also add texture (crispy tortillas) or have a cooling effect (sour cream, avocado or cheese) to counteract the chipotles.
Now, go make some soup! It’s healthy and warming. Everyone wins.
Vegan Tortilla Soup
Ingredients for the soup:
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and deveined, chopped fine
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 (large) can of tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 package Better Bean Co Cuban Black Beans (or a can of regular black beans)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 small zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
For the soup garnishes (all optional except for the tortilla, choose your favourites):
- 1/2 avocado, cut in 1/2″ dice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- tortilla chips or fresh tortilla that has been cut in small strips and toasted in the oven (brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and cumin, then bake)
- sour cream (makes it NOT vegan, obviously, unless you use vegan sour cream)
- shredded cheese (ditto)
- lime juice or fresh lime wedges
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 5-10 minutes, until they are fragrant and soft. Add the garlic and the jalapeño, and stir well. Allow to cook for another 2 minutes, then add the chipotle, cumin, and some salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate, and allow to cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomato (with liquid), vegetable stock, and beans. Stir well, and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables, stir well, and allow to cook for about 5-10 minutes more. Taste for seasoning and adjust. When the soup is done, turn off the heat and add the cilantro, and give it a nice squeeze of lime juice.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with garnishes as you see fit.