Okay, who doesn’t love lasagne??
I mean, if a cartoon cat can’t resist it, who am I to say no?
Yeah, lasagne is one of those classic comfort foods; layers of soft noodles, tomato sauce, and cheese…. it’s the stuff of dreams.
You know what’s not dreamy about lasagne? Making it! Especially if you do everything from scratch. If you make the tomato sauce, include vegetables, make the middle cheesy/creamy layer, have to deal with massive, floppy, half-cooked noodles… yeah. It’s a huge pain the tukus.
So, while I do love a good lasagne, I very seldom make it. Because it’s a lot of work.
She intros the recipe by saying: “two years ago I made a video on my YouTube channel called “Vegan Recipes for Lazy Days,” which included this recipe. The video was a huge hit and people all over the world discovered the wonder that is this soup. It tastes like lasagna but requires only one pot and 30 minutes to make. It’s basically magic.” So I was intrigued… the recipe is vegan, plus it’s not nearly the amount of work to make a regular lasagne, PLUS all the good lasagne feels?
I was in!
I made a big pot of it in my Staub on top of the stove (though I’d love to adapt this for IP), and the week I made it, I was sick. I was miserable and I had a head cold. So ate some for lunch, and it was so good! Really satisfying and wonderful for my cold. Michael was home that day from school, because he also was not feeling well, and he tried some, and he also really enjoyed it!
So yay! When you get a thumbs up from the resident teenage ominvore, that’s a winning recipe.
Famous Lasagne Soup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped mushrooms
- 21/2 cups (625 mL) Marinara Sauce (page 12) or store-bought
- 31/2 cups (875 mL) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried brown lentils
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach
- 1 batch Vegan Ricotta (page 20) or
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegan cheese shreds
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms; cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the marinara sauce, vegetable broth, lentils and lasagna noodles; stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the lentils and noodles are tender.
- Add the spinach and stir to combine. Ladle into 4 bowls and top each with a spoonful of ricotta or vegan cheese shreds. Garnish with fresh parsley and freshly ground black pepper, if desired.