Earlier this week, I shared with you a Valentine’s Day recipe that was vegan and gluten-free, and be-te-dubs, freakin’ delicious.
Today’s recipe is slightly less virtuous, but let’s face it, Valentine’s Day isn’t exactly the day to be virtuous, now, is it? Nope, it’s the time to break out the fur-lined handcuffs, kids.
Nutella is one of my favorite things. I know, it’s not exactly healthy, but come ON! It’s creamy and delicious and chocolately. I love it on crepes and waffles especially, and have been known to integrate it into recipes on occasion.
Here, I wanted to pair it with a red fruit for Valentine’s Day, and that meant either raspberries, cherries or strawberries.
Strawberries was what I finally decided on. I also hit my local dollar store and got a bunch of fun cookie cutters to take this pie to the next level.
I think it will delight whomever you present it to in more ways than one. Maybe not as much as fur-lined handcuffs, though…
Wishing you the best of all Valentine’s Days, whether you are solo or partnered. Have fun out there, and remember; don’t do anything I wouldn’t do! 😉
Strawberry Nutella Pie
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp cold water (approx.)
For the pie:
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup Nutella (approx.)
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt until combined. Add vegetable oil, and stir until well combined. Add the water and stir to combine. It should be a cohesive dough that is still a little dry. Add a bit more water if it seems too dry.
2. Roll the dough into a ball and place it on a large sheet of waxed paper. Place another sheet of waxed paper over top. Bash the dough down until it’s flattened with your rolling pin, then roll it out into a circle big enough to fit in the pie plate, about 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick, occasionally flipping the entire crust over and rolling it on the other side. Remove the top layer of wax paper and flip upside down into a pie plate. Trim off excess, and reserve it for later to make the shapes for the top.
3. Spread Nutella in a layer on the bottom of the pie.
3. Wash the strawberries and cut into quarters or eighths. Toss with flour and sugar. Place in the pie pan over the Nutella, and pat down. Brush the top with water.
4. Cut out shapes with your cookie cutters to make a design. I did “I heart you,” but I also cut out additional heart shapes to put around the edges of the crust. Once you have it how you like it, brush the top of the pastry with milk, then bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.